Many men aren't sure exactly what a prostate is. They know they have one, but they don't know where to find it or what it does. And chances are they have no idea that they should actually regularly massage their prostate too. Read on to learn all about a prostate, the importance of massaging it and quick and easy steps for doing so.
What is your prostate?
The prostate in men is the walnut-sized, semen-storing gland found at the root of the penis (just below the bladder). The prostate is designed to secrete fluid that usually constitutes about 30% of the volume of semen. The prostate also contains some smooth muscles that help release semen during ejaculation.
Why massage your prostate?
There are many reasons to regularly massage your prostate. For one, regular prostate massage reduces the risk of prostatitis, prostate cancer, genital pain, symptoms of erectile dysfunction and nighttime urination. Plus, massaging your prostate can help improve overall erectile function. It's a very important part of maintaining a man's peak sensual health. When the prostate is massaged, stagnant semen is released and your prostate gets cleansed. When the prostate is ignored, though, semen in your prostate becomes stagnant, which creates a buildup of bacteria that can cause swelling.
Here's how to massage your prostate
If you want to use your finger to massage your prostate, simply locate the prostate and begin to stimulate it by repetitively moving your middle finger back and forth. However, many people find this to be too tricky and are unable to get the proper stimulation to the entire gland. In that case, try a prostate massager tool that's made to suit the male body. These will give a more thorough massage by massaging the muscles of the perineum that are located on the outside of your prostate.
Once you've secured one of these prostate massager tools, here are the steps to follow:
- Apply a generous amount of lubricant to your prostate massager tool.
- Get down on all fours (hands and knees).
- Insert the massager approximately four or five inches into your rectum.
- Apply light pressure toward the gland. (This produces an intense sensation that can feel very pleasurable. If it does, continue to apply light pressure while gently pulling the massager tool back about two inches out of your rectum. The intensity will decrease once you pass the prostate.)
- Release the pressure for a few seconds.
- Gently slide the drumstick back in.
- Repeat this process five to 10 times.
- Slide the massager in, hold pressure on the prostate and count to seven. Jiggle the massager lightly and then release the pressure.
- Slide the massage out, wait 60 seconds and then reinsert the drumstick. Apply pressure to the prostate for seven seconds. Slightly jiggle the massager there, release pressure and then slowly slide out the massager.
Once you're done massaging, be sure to clean your massager tool thoroughly with hot water and disinfectant. If you used your finger, be sure to clip your fingernails and wash your hands very well.
The benefits of prostate massage
Now that you know the steps to take to massage your prostate, make it a habit to do this regularly. It will not only help improve your sex life, but it will also help keep you healthier longer.